Podcast: David Strahan; Filmmaker, Journalist

Podcast: David Strahan; Filmmaker, Journalist

Postby MikeC on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:13 pm

It is very difficult to write this without unwittingly "sensationalising" it. The danger in doing that would be to potentially put you off listening... thus delaying the inevitable day.

So I'll just spit it out:

This is the most important podcast (I've) done to-date.

David Strahan is an award-winning investigative journalist, documentary film-maker, reporter (The Money Programme & Horizon (BBC)), journalist (several broadsheets) and author of The Last Oil Shock.

Listen/Show-notes: David Strahan - Oil, energy and climate change (If you want to avoid my rant, skip the first 4 minutes.)

Watch (Viddler): Oil, Energy and Climate Change

Watch (Google): Oil, Energy and Climate Change
He has spent several years interviewing oil industry figures and conveying a message which more and more oil executives are slowly beginning to publicly admit - Most recently (3 weeks ago), the Chief Executive of Shell:

Shell estimates that after 2015 supplies of easy-to-access oil and gas will no longer keep up with demand.

Jeroen van der Veer, Chief Executive. Shell Oil.

The issue is inextricably linked to climate change and the urgent need to reduce energy consumption and waste.

He calls for an enforced regime of energy auditing and thinks the EPC should be pulled out of the HIP on the basis that it the method of delivery will simply take too long to have a meaningful and measurable effect.

There is a lot of information in this podcast that - particularly if you're new to the issue - will shock, and probably leave you fearing for your own (and your family's) future. No, the aliens are not coming! But the clear and logical truth of it is - without question - we are running out of oil.

We look at the alternative forms of energy currently being touted and whether technology can save the day.

Listen/Show-notes: David Strahan - Oil, energy and climate change (If you want to avoid my rant, skip the first 4 minutes.)

Good luck :shock:
MikeC

Subscriber

Re: Podcast: David Strahan; Filmmaker, Journalist

Postby walcotboy on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:42 pm

PEAK OIL - Serious lifestyle changes required.
walcotboy

Bronze User

Postby walcotboy on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Great Podcast. Also check out http://www.transition.org and "The Partys Over - Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies" by Richard Heinberg
walcotboy

Bronze User

Postby BlackandGreen on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Well if you can't be bothered to read about peak oil, or just think it's anohter green conspiracy, then this podcast is certainly your wake up call. I had a little shock at the start ;-).

The big news for me - and something I'd missed was Shell going on the record in the last couple of weeks saying their production has reduced over the last 4 years, and they see easy oil will be over by 2015. This is a major wake up call to everyone.

I will certianly telling everyone I know the significance of this. Up to know it has only been ex-oil executives, academics and the like who are on record (or one person who stands out in my memory was a US general asked to look at what future scenarios the US military should plan for http://www.aspo-usa.com/assets/document ... cipice.pdf).

A key point is the oil doesn't run out in 2015 - it just continues to get more expensive as there isn't enough to go around. So those EPC payback savings could be well underestimated, but you can't base them on future prices only current. But you can think about the fact that if energy prices double the payback will be halved.

What this also means is that someone can't use oil for something they had planned to do as there just ins;t the production capacity. Whether that's fly to Disneyland, drag a plow across a field, make little plastic toys, or drive to work will be down to market forces.

Remeber as oil prices increase so do gas, coal and even renewable energy - becuase people will still need the energy, for power going about their business. For me renewables are less important than efficiency savings. I've gone the full circle - and we need to work with what is avaiable right now from buildbase, B&Q, knauf, kingspan and the like, and wrap our houses up to get the energy demands as low as possible.

For my recently acquired 1960's house I've worked out that by fitting cavity wall insualtion, and external insulation, sorting the draughts, switching to heat recovery extractors, the heating demands will drop from 15kw down to 2.5kW - almost requiring no heating other than a back up log burner in the lounge. The walls go from a U value of 1.5, down to 0.16. The cost will be over £10,000 but it's much cheaper than fitting PV and or a heat pump and requires no ongoing energy to maintian the savings. Gas bills should come down from £1000 to £125. (That was worked out before the price rise).

Payback was 11 years and savings are better than leaving the money in an Tax Free ISA. That last point is something I'd like the efficiency industry to illustrate to homeowners. Especially ones who intend to stay put. (As you insualtion isn't as portable as savings accounts).

Volkswagen now sell "blue motion" cars across the range. They teaked the aerodynamics, changed the tyres, upgraded the suspension and put in thinner viscosity engine oil. Savings are pretty impressive withte Pole beng the first sensible car I've seen to get under 100 g/km and therefore no tax. MPG is around 75mpg. I'm waiting another month or so , as I expect them to bring out a 1.9Tdi estate, with the new 7 speed DSG box which knocks a futher 10% of their already low emmissions. They may even work some magic on that 1.9 tdi block. The new 1.4 Petrol TSI engine with DSG is almost better than the diesel!

Or if you're willing to hold on a bit longer. Toyota are rumorued to be brining out a 100MPG+ Prius next year, possbily with home charging facility and range up to 40 miles on electric only before the petrol engine has to take over. But like I said - that's not in showrooms right now. But it does seem feasible. Third party companies already sell repalcement battery packs for the current Prius, and lean burn engines could get 100+ MPG on their own. (without hybrid support). Did you about the Canadian Taxi drive who put 250,000 km on a Prius. Toyota bought it back off hime to see what could be improved. It shows the batteries are capable which has been a public concern on hybrids.

Anyway got to eat!

Simon.
Simon Heath
http://www.lowcarbongroup.org
Putting the EPC at the core of of Carbon Emission Reduction Schemes.
BlackandGreen

Gold User

Postby MikeC on Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 pm

It took a while, because the video version is different from the others in the series.

I've spent some time adding background notes and film footage to add some context and depth. Addionally, I've put this video onto Viddler: This allows you to add comments to the timeline which are flagged as it plays - You'll see.

So if you have any supporting commentary, thoughts, or whatever, just hover over the timeline and add them - You can even add a note in the form of a video clip which you can record there and then.

I've also made it a bit more "public-friendly" by stripping out the intro-rant.

I will, of course, also put a version onto Google Video too.

Not all of this video has supporting film footage/notes; that would take more weeks 'cos finding copyright-free material aint easy - But do feel free to add some if you're a creative yearning for a challenge.
MikeC

Subscriber

Post by Advertisement

Return to Podcasts And Media